Ensure School and Student Safety
- Hold a regular review of emergency situation protocols for all employees at each site.
- Assign each school campus a specially trained Law Enforcement Officer.
- Push back high school start times, so students aren’t waiting for buses in the dark.
- Continue to audit facilities and recommend security upgrades.
Restore Discipline in the Classroom
- Bring in professional behavior specialists at school.
- Emphasize developmentally appropriate practices so students don’t act out.
- Allow teachers time to develop community in the classroom.
- Help struggling students get the help they need.
- Differentiate state-mandated vs. district-imposed tests and their purpose.
- Retrain administrators to “look beyond the numbers.”
- Reallocate resources devoted to testing – technology, time, personnel, focus – to areas of greater need.
Expand Career Tech Access
- Expose middle school students to OCPS Orange Tech College Campuses.
- Integrate academic and career tech at traditional high school campuses.
- Strengthen partnerships with leading industries that pay a living wage and offer health benefits.
Expand Access to Mental Health Services
- Locate a mental health provider at each school site, in addition to the guidance counselor.
- Partner with the Mental Health Association of Central Florida for additional resources.
- Replace the anxiety-causing testing focus with an emphasis on developing the whole child.
Restore Respect for Teachers and Address the Teacher Shortage
- Classroom teachers MUST be a part of the district’s decision-making.
- Allow teachers to use their professional judgment in how they teach the standards.
- Give teachers back their planning time to plan.